Monday, October 1, 2012

You've Gained Weight

I know perfectly well that I have gained weight over the past year or so. When we were going to language school in Nairobi we were walking at least 5 miles every day. That helped me lose weight. Then there was the fact that we were eating “strange” food, not our typical diet. Thanks to care packages we have been able to enjoy such things as peanut butter (that we like), familiar candy, chocolate chips, caramel apples, etc. Living in our own house and cooking for ourselves means we can eat whatever we like and as much as we like. I’m not getting as much exercise as I should. My clothes still fit although they are a little snugger than I would like.

I haven’t seen the majority of my co-workers for six weeks. When we started returning to work this week, one of the young women teachers who is very nice made the comment that I had gained weight. Then she was explaining to me Kiswahili words to use. You can’t use kunona the equivalent of fat when referring to people. Instead use the word kuenapa that means grow big, healthy.

Yesterday the father to one of my Form II girls brought her to school. We haven’t seen one another for over a year. After greeting and chatting for a few minutes he gave me the ultimate Kenyan compliment, “You’ve gained weight.” Laughingly I replied, “I’m afraid so.” “That’s a good thing@ was his reply, “ it means you are healthy!”
I’ve got the message. Although it is considered beautiful to be a larger person here, that’s not what I want to be and so I need to start watching more carefully what I eat and get more exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment