Saturday, October 6, 2012

Passing Time

I got home from school one afternoon before 5:00. The afternoon was beautiful and I needed exercise so decided to take a walk. I was about halfway on my route with I met Robina going home from work. Robina used to do our laundry and clean our house when we first arrived in Kitale. However, she works for a couple other people. Their needs changed and so she was unable to work for us any longer. She still cleans Russ's house on Saturdays so is on the compound weekly. She is a lovely lady so we always stop to chat with her. She introduced me to a tailor that I like. She has a friend that goes to Uganda to buy fabric so I occasionally buy fabric from her. It doesn't get any more convenient than that. She brings several pieces for me to look at and if I like something, I buy it.

I was delighted to bump into her on my walk. We walked together for several blocks. When we got near her corner she asked me if I remembered where she lived as I had taken her home once during a downpour. Of course I remembered. I intended to resume my walk when we got to her corner, but she invited me to her home. You don't turn down an invitation like that.

After we reached her house and settled in, she offered me a soda. Again, you don't turn something like that down. Even though you feel bad and know they can't really afford it, it is an insult to refuse food or drink. So, I replied that I'd like one. She didn't have any in the house so left to have a neighbour's child run to the nearest duka (small neighbourhood shop that typically sells bread, soda, eggs, a few pieces of fruit that are in season). The neighbour's children were gone so she had to run to the duka herself about two blocks away. I felt so bad for her!

We chatted and enjoyed our sodas. I enjoyed the conversation very much learning more about her, her family and her work.

As I was leaving I thanked her for the visit and soda telling her that I was very honoured. Her reply was, "No, I am the honoured one. You helped me to pass the time."

This comment pointed out to me how very different our cultures are. Keep in mind we grew up on farms and didn't have close neighbours that we interacted with daily. John and I both like and appreciate quiet time. We enjoy living in a quiet house in a quiet neighbourhood without people and noise around all the time. When we get home from school we look forward to a quiet evening in our own home.

Robina lives on a compound that is probably an acre. Her's is the only house on the nice walled in compound. The rest of the compound is planted in banana trees, corn, sukumawili, pumpkin, etc. that she uses to feel her family. In my opinion, it is a perfect compound: large, comfortable, quiet, just off the main road, etc. They are building a new house across the road from Robina's compound. She had commented during our conversation that she was glad that she would soon be having neighbours. Her landlord intends to build at least one other house on the compound where she lives. She can't wait for that to happen.

It seems to me that Kenyans like and want people around all the time. They like the noise and chaos. Her children are away in boarding school. She is lucky in that her husband now works in Kitale but works long hours at the hospital as a physician's assistant. Her comment that I helped her to pass the time was a sincere compliment indicating that she doesn't like to be alone, doesn't like the quiet. She not only appreciated my visit to her home but it also made her evening more pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment