Sunday, January 26, 2014

Kenyan English

As a teacher of English, not English teacher, I find the usage of words so interesting in Kenya. Here are some more examples of Kenyan English.

One of the young teachers on staff had hurt his arm over the weekend. As I was shaking his hand in the morning greeting, he said, “My arm is shouting.”

A student was describing an argument between her sister and her, “She was flinging harsh words at me.”

“You’re phone was crying,” was how I was greeting upon my return to the staff room after class. Translation, your phone was ringing.

I give fellow teachers a ride when I am leaving school. They think our car is so nice. One of them commented, “I am feeling the car,” meaning it is such a nice, comfortable ride.

During the rainy season the roads can be very slippery as they are dirt and dusty. When that dust gets wet, it almost feels like you are driving in snow or ice. I was nervous thinking I might end up in the ditch when a rider commented, “Your car is dancing.”

When faced with many options they will say, “I’m spoilt for choice.”

There was some confusion as to whether the entire bill was paid. I was told, “You are a clean lady. You don’t owe anything.”

Both students and teachers like to sit in the sun during the morning break. They call it basking. I was surprised one morning when I was told that I was swimming in the sun as I was standing in the sunlight waiting for class to start.

When asked if students are ready for an exam they usually answer, "Somehowly." There is no such word in the Oxford dictionary. I won't allow them to use it in my presence

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder on the interesting usage of English in Kenya. I need to do something similar for Tanzanian English terms. There are plenty of them but none come to mind at the time. Maybe because I have been on home leave a few months.

    ReplyDelete