Sunday, June 9, 2013

You Live in a Desolate Place!


After returning to Kenya from our trip to the States in April and early May, I asked John to print several photos that we had taken while we were there to illustrate spring and the awakening of the earth after the cold winter.



Armed with these photos I shared them with the students. I was so thrilled with my lesson.



We were talking about foods that grow in Kansas. I was explaining that Kansas is further north of the equator so our growing season is shorter. I was trying to explain strawberries, blueberries, cucumbers, lettuce, etc. I finally thought of the pictures in the dictionary so we opened them up to the fruits and vegetables pages.



They started asking about the foods shown there.



No, we can't grow bananas. No we can't grow pineapple. No, we can't grow mangoes, papaya or passion fruit either. I heard one of the students comment as I was leaving class that day, "Boy, it must be a desolate place!"

No comments:

Post a Comment