Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine's Day Kenyan Style

Thursday mornings at 7:30 is time for class meetings. It is a chance to once a week discuss issues that arise among the students. I, as class teacher of Form III East, often attend.

When I walked in the door of that classroom I was treated to a visual delight! The room was decorated in red and pink flowers. Almost every single girl had picked red and pink flowers on the compound and used them to decorate for that special day. Some girls had flowers in their hair, others used containers to create vases for their desks while still others had a garland of flowers across the top of their desks. Viola, a girl that sits in the front center row and even used some kind of gold glitter to highlight the edges of her flowers. Don't ask me where she got the gold glitter (someone's make up perhaps, which is forbidden) or how she was able to so delicately spread it on the tips of the petals.

I don't think there was a single bush that still had a bloom left on it. As a teacher, I was given several blooms by the girls. My Form II West sent several for Mr. Korb so he wasn't left out.

No comments:

Post a Comment