Thursday, June 30, 2011

Interesting Question

I had a fellow teacher ask the most interesting question this week. I'm guessing he is in his 40s. I know he has a daughter that is a freshman in St. Moncia's. As is typical of many Kenyan families, he lives apart from his family because of his work. I'm not sure where his family lives, but he lives on the school compound in teacher housing. And I'm not sure how often he is able to see his family. (It is considered rude to ask people about their families and other personal matters.)

The Friends Across Borders trip was in Kitale last week. The sixteen participants visited St. Monica's one afternoon. This group was made up of five married couples and six singles. Their visit began with an assembly. After flag raising introductions began. Of course in our culture when you introduce yourself you tell a little about yourself. It is only natural to say, "This is my husband, John."

So the question asked was, "Why were there so many married people in the group of your visitors? Why do married couples travel together? If I want to travel I don't take my wife with me." I'm sure that question is indicative of traditional marriages. They aren't based on love, mutual satisfaction and support, or the desire to spend time together.

I thought it was interesting that two young women practice teachers (student teachers) who were sitting nearby were nodding their heads when I was trying to describe our marriages based on love and friendship. We want to spend time with our spouses. Yes, we have other interests and spend time away from one another, but depend on our spouses for companionship and actually want to travel and spend time together. I don't think those young women will settle for a marriage based on traditional values!

1 comment:

  1. wow! mr and mrs korb you are wonderful i am very proud of you. Your loving daughter Catherine Akoth (4 SOUTH)ST MONICA'S KITALE

    ReplyDelete