Friday, March 25, 2011

Form I Class



Meet my Form I English class. Not only are they my freshman English class, but I am their class teacher. That would be similar to a homeroom teacher. I am responsible for them. Again, keep in mind this is a boarding school, so not only am I to keep track of their academic progress, but also deal with any issues that might arise during the boarding portion of their day.

Issues that I have had to deal with thus far:
* illness, mostly malaria

* wounds on legs (I don't know why, but several girls have had sores on their legs that are deep. It's not similar to anything I've seen before.)

* rebounding (This is a new vocabulary word for me. It means they snuck back in the serving line in the dining hall and got a second helping. Unfortunately it was on beans and rice day, everyone's favorite. That meant some girls did not get to eat that meal because there wasn't enough food.)

* locks on desks (Students need to lock all of their items in either their trunks in the dorms or their desks in the classroom.)

* phone calls home (It is the class teachers responsibility to determine whether the need for the phone is a valid one and then allow students to flash their parents when they need to talk to them.)

* gossiping


* report cards

They begin their final exams today with a week and a half remaining in this term.

I am pleased to report that these are for the most part well behaved and motivated students.

No comments:

Post a Comment