Saturday, June 5, 2010

Not all chili powder is created equally!

It is so nice to be able to have my own kitchen again. However, cooking is an adventure. Ingredients here are a little different, so even if I am using a familiar recipe, it doesn’t always turn out the way I expect. Last night was a perfect example.

I wanted to make burritos, Chipotle style. All you need is meat, rice, beans and toppings. That’s easy, right? Not quite so. I’ve learned to make some pretty good guacamole with the avocados that are in season, so that part wasn’t a problem. I can substitute chapatti for the tortillas. They can be purchased at the restaurant where we eat on Sundays. Refried beans, taco seasoning, and salsa are not available in the stores. That’s easily remedied by checking the internet. I found recipes for all three. The salsa and beans turned out great. The problem was the taco seasoning. Although I cut the amount of chili powder way down, the chili powder must be several times stronger than what we are used too! Poor John and Russ added second and third helpings of yogurt (sour cream substitute) to their burritos to try to cool them down!

I think I can still use the leftover seasoned mince (hamburger). I’ve frozen it and will save it to make chili one of these cool evenings. When I add more meat, that should dilute the seasoning and make it more tolerable.

On a happier note, John and I had breakfast burritos this morning minus the mince. The scrambled eggs with salsa, guacamole and cheese were great! We didn’t even miss the sausage.

This is John, one of our askari (guards) and groundskeepers. He has just picked some avocados from the tree in our compound. That means more guacamole, avocado and tomato salad, and avocado salad dressing. I even made avocado pudding last week. Not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment